All About Food, Health and Recipes Around the World
Chinese Steam Bun (Boas) are one of the most popular dim sum made, and the combination of pork, Mushroom, and sweet fluffy pillowy dough gives this snack an addictive flavor like no other recipe. I had always been excited in making my own Steam Bun Baos at home and the best part of it is that we can make a variety of steam buns using this recipe formula, you can make sweet buns or savoury buns (which we will be making here) and with fillers such as lotus paste or coconut jam and so on. It’s worth learning how to make these buns at home, so you’re ready whenever a craving hits.
1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
600g Ground pork
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp Cornstarch
1 tbsp Sesame oil
1 handful of Sliced dried mushrooms –> It must be well drained and soaked
18 Quail eggs –> It must be cooked and peeled – alternately use 5 chicken eggs and cut them into quarters
3/4 cup Sugar
4 1/2 cups Self-raising flour
1 1/2 cups Milk
For filling we use 1/2 cup of red bean paste (you can buy this paste ready-made from most Asian grocery stores)
How To make Steam Bun Baos ?
First of all before making the dough let us prepare the pork mixture with the required ingredients.
1) Mix the ground pork with the pepper, salt, sugar, cornstarch and sesame oil.
2) Add the dried mushrooms and Chinese sausage to the mixture.
3) Divide it into 18 approximately equal portions.
4)Take one portion of the meat and slightly flatten in your hand to it so that it spreads.
5)Place a cooked quail egg on top of the meat and cover the meat around the egg to make a small round ball.
6) Place it somewhere aside.
Making the Dough:
1) Mix the flour and sugar in a big bowl.
2) Pour the milk in and mix until it becomes a dough Let it sit for 5 minutes.
3) Divide into about 18 equal portions. If you feel any lumps, work through the dough with your hands to remove them.
Forming and Cooking the Buns:
1) flour, 18 pieces of dough, 18 balls of meat filling, parchment paper, cut into 18 square.
2) On a floured surface, roll out a piece of dough into a circle, ideally tapered at the edges Dip one of the prepared meat fillings in flour, With the piece of dough in one hand, place the meat filling on top.
I hope you enjoyed making the chinese steam bun baos , the expected preparation time for this is around 60 Minutes , so this is such kind of snack that you can make if your customers have enough time. Mostly Steam Baos are Pre-prepared and displayed.